Skip the Pricey Spa: Enjoy an Herbal Facial Steam at Home
Humans have been harnessing steam for health and beauty since ancient times. For being such a simple technique, a facial steam packs big benefits and you don’t have to wait until your next spa visit to have one. Try this easy technique with your favorite herbs and enjoy a luxurious treatment that will leave your skin feeling fresh and glowing!
Why Facial Steaming?
The moisture from warm water softens the surface layer of dead skins cells, which may help to free dead cells, dirt, bacteria or other trapped matter that could be causing breakouts. For people prone to mild acne, this could help reduce the occurrence of breakouts.
Warm humidity from steaming may also stimulate blood circulation and increase perspiration, which can help flush waste and toxins away from your skin. Increasing the circulation in your facial skin may will help to give you a warm, colorful glow.
A third benefit is that steaming “opens” your pores, allowing dirt to get out. Unlike your eyelids, pores don’t open and close on command. Steaming helps unclog pores by clearing away the dead skin cells that are plugging them up.
A word of caution: facial steaming is not recommended if you suffer with certain skin conditions, so please check with your doctor if you have concerns.
Glowing Skin in Five Simple Steps
You’ll need a large pot of boiling water, a sturdy table or counter, a handful of herbs and a bath towel. Although herbs are not required, adding some of your favorites will evoke an experience of relaxation and the aromas are sure to stimulate your senses. Follow these steps:
- Bring the water to a boil; move the pot to your table or counter, low enough that you can lean over it comfortably.
- Add a handful of each herb you’re using to the pot; good choices are whole sage leaves, peppermint leaves and chamomile flowers.
- Sit down in front of the pot; drape the towel over your head and shoulders so that both you and the pot are under the towel. Be sure to keep your face at least a foot away from the water.
- Breathe deeply and slowly through your nose; you can lift the corner of the towel to let in fresh air as needed. Stay under the towel for 5 – 10 minutes.
- When the minutes are up, gently dab your face with the towel and apply an all-natural moisturizer if needed.
Do YOU have a favorite facial steam technique or other natural beauty tip? We would love to hear about it below!
Ready to Try Some More Herbal Pampering?
From skin issues to mood swings, herbs are some of the most potent remedies available to us. Join in the herbal revolution during our Herbal Medicine program and learn how you can experience optimal health the natural way!