Start Your Spring Detox With a Relaxing Epsom Salts Bath
- by Heather Gardener
After a long winter of wooly wearing, carb crunching hibernation, our minds start to ponder how best to scrub up for the summer, detox and ditch that pesky cellulite or extra pounds. Most of us just don’t have time for any complicated routines or pricy products. We still want to look brilliant in our bikinis and hot in a halter neck when the sun shines forth once more. Health heroines are savvy enough to know that adding some lemon to our water, some greens to our smoothies and more exercise in our day will make all the difference…but what if we need an extra little nudge for those toxins that refuse to budge?
Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) baths focus on using the largest organ of detoxification, the skin, as a route to release toxins stored in our bodies. It has the effect of drawing toxicity and acidity towards it. This combined with a hot bath will thin the lymph; encourage blood to the surface of the skin, and the release of toxic wastes into the water creating more movement in a sluggish body. Magnesium is involved in over 300 essential processes in the body and most of us are deficient in it. Sulfates are also essential for many of the body’s activities as well as flushing out toxins.
The effect of the magnesium is very soothing and relaxing to body and mind, it’s a perfect thing to do before bedtime for a good nights sleep, if your feeling stressed or have sore tense muscles. Precautions: Do not take Epsom salts bath when pregnant, menstruating or if you have high blood pressure
How to Get the Most Out of Your Detox Bath
- Pour 1 kilo/2lbs of Epsom salts into an empty bath and run the hot water.
- Lie in the bath for up to 20 minutes.
- Don’t use any soap or other substance in the bath as it can diminish the effect.
- When finished you can take a cold shower to further effect the lymph drainage.
- Or quickly dry yourself and get into bed to stay warm and sweat out more toxins.
- You may feel weak & tired after the bath but after a nights rest you should fee clear and refreshed.
- A great way to use these baths as a detox is to take 1 a week for 3 weeks, take a week off then repeat. The perfect time for a bath is on the new moon which is well know to be a potent time for detox.
- If you want a less detoxing bath, use 2 cups of Epsom salts.
Other Benefits of Epsom Salts Baths:
There are a few more surprising benefits that may people report by doing regular detoxification baths with Epsom salts. Now that you know how to do it, here are a few of the perks you have to look forward to once you make them a regular part of your healthy living routine!
- Helps to ease headaches
- Ease stress, improve sleep & concentration
- Soothes respiratory conditions
- Regulates your calcium levels
- Balances insulin & makes it more effective
- Relieves athletes foot & fungal conditions
- Soothes sprains & bruises
- Reduces any inflammation
- Helps to reduce spots
- Helps to create volume in your hair if you let your hair soak as well (rinse afterwards)
- Sprinkle in your garden to nourish plants, deter pests and keep slugs at bay!
We’ll be soon kicking off our 21-Day Green Smoothie Detox, and this is just one of the practices that can work as a fabulous companion to the food, fitness and lifestyle suggestions provided during this program! The Green Smoothie Detox is our most popular cleanse and thousands of people from around the world have experienced the difference that just a few days can make when you start to add more greens and fresh foods to the diet. You can sign up and join us here.
Meet Heather Gardner
Heather is a lifelong 3rd generation vegetarian, Raw Food and Kundalini Yoga Teacher. She began learning about herbs and wild foods at a young age from her herbalist mother while growing up on a remote mountainside in Ireland and delving into the world of foraging, potion making, nutrition, and raw & living foods as a teenager searching for answers to numerous health challenges.
At 20 she began learning and experimenting with the Raw Lifestyle and in 2005 she began to move onto a raw diet and has transitioned to a balanced high raw diet over time. She has studied Natural Nutrition and many other healing modalities and has over 10 years experience as a Natural Remedies, Health & Beauty manager and Brand manager within the UK Natural Products industry, and helping people to achieve better health naturally. Now she lives in the west of Ireland, teaching and running her business www.consciousearthcompany.com as well as running after her feisty little toddler! Connect with Heather on Facebook here.
Tags: epsom salts, epsom salts detox bath, Heather Gardener, spring detox
Posted in Natural Beauty Care | 8 Comments »