The body is continuously working to stay in an alkaline state and the body’s acid-alkaline balance adjusts throughout the day depending on the types of foods you consume. In today’s fast paced society, we consume high amounts of refined foods that contain sugar, cow’s milk products, excess salt, alcohol, wheat as well as meats that contain high amounts of saturated fat. Over time these foods can cause increased inflammation in the body and can wreak havoc on the skin causing acne, psoriasis and eczema. Adding in detoxifying foods will not only keep your body in an alkaline state, but depending on which detox foods you include in your diet, will help to eliminate toxins that have accumulated over time.
Adding the following foods to your diet, will allow your body to detox naturally:
- Apple contains pectin which helps to excrete heavy metals and is cleansing for the liver and the kidneys.
- Artichoke increases bile production and purifies and protects the liver and has a diuretic effect on the kidneys.
- Asparagus is a great diuretic that helps to support and maintain restorative properties that promote good bacteria in the intestines.
- Cruciferous Vegetables (Broccoli, Sprouts, Cabbage and Cauliflower) increase levels of glutathione, a powerful antioxidant that supports the liver in releasing toxins.
- Fennel has strong diuretic properties that help eliminate fats from the body.
- Garlic known as nature’s pharmacy has powerful antioxidants properties that convert to sulphur based compounds which bind to mercury as well as food additives. It also activates liver enzymes that help to filter out refined foods.
- Ginger for some, is known as a panacea that relieves bloating and nausea, but also helps to stimulate digestive enzymes which supports healthy digestion.
- Lemon stimulates the release of enzymes and helps convert toxins into a water-soluble form that’s easily excreted from the body. h is alkaline- forming first thing in the morning, will help to balance out the acidity from the acid forming foods we’ve consumed.
- Parsley contains powerful phytonutrients and is a diuretic and helps the kidneys to release toxins. As a side note, parsley will help to reduce the flavor after eating raw garlic.
- Leafy Greens (Kale, Chard, Dandelion and Spinach) are considered a powerhouse of nutrients that are probably the number one food missing from the American diet. They are a rich source of minerals and provide a variety of phytonutrients. They are super antioxidants that support cleansing of the digestive tract.
- Sea Vegetables, often called seaweeds are powerful antioxidants that help to alkalize the blood and strengthen the digestive tract. The algin in seaweeds absorbs toxins from the digestive tract in much the same way that a water softener removes the hardness from tap water. Sea vegetables offer the broadest range of minerals of any food, containing virtually all the minerals found in the ocean-the same minerals that are found in human blood.
- Watercress a natural diuretic purifies the blood and encourages enzyme production.
Adding these detox superfoods to your diet will help to reduce the toxic load on your organs and will also help to reduce the amount of acidity and inflammation in the body.
*** Tracy Neely is the founder and owner of Nourish & Flourish Healthy Living, a holistic nutrition counselor and esthetician with a consulting practice located in Orlando Florida. Tracy has a passion for nutrition and skin care and wants to support women who want to get in the best shape of their lives and feel beautiful at any age. Tracy is a mother of a wonderful little boy and a wife to an amazing man and enjoys doing yoga, juicing and creating green smoothie recipes, reading books and going for walks with her family.
Tags: healthy skin, natural detox, raw food diet for women
Posted in Natural Beauty Care, Raw Food Health | 1 Comment »