By now, most people are familiar with the many ways in which breast milk benefits babies. For example, it provides unrivaled nutrition, immune-boosting antibodies, and healthy mother-child bonding, to name a few. However, the amazing properties of breast milk are farther reaching than that; in fact, there are dozens of practical uses, from which everyone can benefit – from cancer killer to decongestant – making it a true panacea.
Here is a list of some of the many uses of breast milk – warning: this is not for the super squeamish!
1. Diaper rash – squirt some mother’s milk on your little one’s bottom to soothe and heal.
2. Clogged tear ducts – it’s not uncommon for babies to get swollen, clogged eyes as their tear ducts are coming in; breast milk can help to unclog and get everything flowing properly.
3. Scrapes, burns, and other boo-boos – breast milk will disinfect and accelerate healing.
4. Acne – baby or adult, breast milk helps take the red out and clear up those annoying breakouts.
5. Red eyes – use it as eye drops! It takes the red out and soothes those tired, bloodshot, sleepless eyes.
6. Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) – apply every few hours for a couple days to clear up nasty eye infections.
7. Puffy under-eyes – rub a few drops under the eyes to reduce unsightly bags – it works better than cucumber!
8. Make-up remover – takes make-up right off! A great skin cleanser too.
9. Sore throat – gargling with breast milk can help soothe the sore throat of anyone willing to try it!
10. Ear infections/aches – Breastfeeding significantly lowers the incidence of ear infections in the first place, but if your child does happen to get one, putting a few drops in the ear can really help to ease the pain.
11. Cancer cure? It has been known for some time that breast milk offers protection from cancer: babies who are not breastfed are 9 times more likely to contract a childhood cancer than those who are breastfed. So, it shouldn’t come a surprise that a group of Swedish scientists stumbled upon the discovery that breast milk actually kills cancer cells – all kinds of cancer. Exposure to certain proteins in breast milk causes the cancer cells to commit suicide, while leaving healthy cells unharmed. This shines a very hopeful light indeed on potential future cancer treatments.
12. Bug bites/Poison Oak or Ivy/Chicken Pox – use like calamine lotion to relieve the itch!
13. Chapped lips – pat a few drops onto those cracked, dry lips at night and wake up with a soft, supple kisser!
14. Sore, cracked nipples – soothe and heal painful nipples.
15. Nasal congestion – squirt a few drops in a stuffed nose and blow (or suction out for your little ones).
16. Sexual lubricant – Forget the astro-glide!
17. Mouthwash/Toothache – Breastfeeding prevents tooth decay. In fact, attempts to grow bacteria in breast milk in the lab – including that which causes tooth decay – have proved unsuccessful. Anyone willing to gargle with it should reap the benefits!
18. Eczema/Psoriasis/Dry Skin – Mother’s Milk does wonders for many skin conditions.
19. Mouth, Leg, and other Ulcers – Ditto
And last, but not least…….drum roll, please!
20. Coffee Creamer! Don’t believe me? Then check out this video.
Okay, okay – so the last one is a joke, but it always gets me laughing!
So, dear readers, can you think of any other great uses for breast milk? I’d love to hear from you!